We went to our first kickboxing class… and loved it!
Box n’ Burn in Brentwood offers a free first class (with free wrap and glove rentals!) so we signed up with a few girlfriends and had a super fun girls night out. Our main forms of exercise include yoga (both) and running (Laura), so kickboxing was a totally new experience. Special shout out to our awesome instructors: Anthony, Alex and Josh.
What to Bring/Wear
- Shoes! Though you can do the class barefoot, it is more comfortable with sneakers
- Water Bottle
- Workout clothes: shorts/leggings (our favs: here and here), tank, sports bra (our favs: here and here)
What Class is Like
- Meet the instructors (3 instructors for a class of 8 students!) and get gloves/wraps
- Quick 5 minute warm up – who knew jumping rope could be so hard as an adult?!
- Beginner tutorial: they pulled aside all the newbies & showed us the basics
- Circuit Rotation – ring, bags, floor (squats, track, hold plank, etc), repeat
- Ab Workout
- Stretch – we were great at that part (yeah yogis!)
What You’ll Get Out of it
- Kickboxing is a mega calorie burner! Our friend Melinda was wearing her apple watch, unfortunately it died about halfway through but was already registering 570 calories!
- Self-defense skills! Even after one class we already felt more comfortable punching and kicking.
- Drink tons of water (we love this reusable bottle that’s Boston Themed)
- Do some yoga
Where You’ll be Sore
- …. but also, quads, ankles, thighs, arms and fingers
- Also, you’ll be sore the next day.
Our Favorite Products for Sore Muscles
- Epsom salt for a bath or as a scrub
- China Gel – this stuff is amazing, you use a tiny amount on your sore muscles and they feel better within a few minutes.